African Youth Event: East Africa Youth Forum 2012 to be held in Asmara, Eritrea
NUEYS announces East Africa Youth Forum 2012
To be held from 10 – 13 July 2012 in Asmara, Eritrea
Visit our website to find up-to-date information http://www.nueys.org
The National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students (NUEYS) will be organizing an East African Youth Forum this summer, with the aim of strengthening the Pan African Youth Union (PYU) throughout East Africa.
The theme of the forum will be “Active Youth Participation for Conflict Transformation and Regional Integration.” The goal of the forum is to bring together representatives of National Youth Councils, youth and student organizations, as well as other friendly organizations to share ideas, views, best practices and concrete recommendations for active youth participation and citizenship for conflict transformation and regional integration. This forum will not only raise awareness on the pressing issues the youth of the Horn of Africa/East Africa face, but also develop a platform for youth to become more active in their communities, countries and regions.
Objectives of the forum:
- To foster tolerance and a sense of mutual understanding among the youth organizations involved
- To increase the awareness and knowledge of youth peace activists and promoters of active youth citizenship for development and social justice.
- To share the necessary tools, techniques, strategies and skills to promote a culture of peace and conflict transformation
- To spread awareness on the prevailing situation in the Horn of Africa/East Africa
- To make suggestions towards developing an effective strategy for regional and international cooperation, integration, friendship and mutual understanding.
- Implementation and realization of the African Youth Charter
- Accelerating youth empowerment for sustainable development through active youth participation in the African Youth Decade (2009-2018)
This regional youth forum will take place right before the 5th Eri-Youth Festival (13-15 July 2012), a bi-annual festival organized to celebrate the achievements and valuable role of Eritrean youth in nation building, development and in preserving national unity. All participants of the forum are more than welcome to participate in this festival.
All National Youth Councils and youth and student organizations in the East Africa/Indian Ocean sub-region, as well as other friendly organizations, are invited to partake in this forum. The deadline to register to participate in this forum is 15 June 2012.
More information about this forum may be found on the NUEYS website: http://www.nueys.org.
The National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students (NUEYS) is a democratic, non-profit, and non-governmental organization that stands for the betterment of Eritrean youth, with the mission of organizing and building a versatile youth that is aware and proud of their culture, identity, heritage and history. NUEYS holds the vice-president position of the Pan African Youth Union (PYU) for East Africa/Indian Ocean.