Country profile and more information coming soon, please be patient!
Documentation of Eritrea in English – History – Religion – Ethnic – Independence – Colony – Development!
|Population||5,647,168 (July 2009 est.)|
|Capital||Asmara; approx 500,000 (2006 est.)|
|Area||121,144 square kilometers (46,774 square miles)|
|Currency||Nakfa. (Pegged to the USD.)|
|Time||GMT + 3|
|Government||Independent state since 1993|
|Head of State||President Isaias Afewerki since 1993|
|Language||Tigrinya, Tigre, Arabic and English are spoken. English is rapidly becoming the language of business and education.|
|Industry||Food processing, beverages, clothing and textiles.|
|Agriculture||Sorghum, lentils, vegetables, corn, livestock, fish.|
|Exports||Livestock, sorghum, textiles, food, small manufactures.|
People and Customs
The people are known for their friendly behavior and are proud about their religion. They are hard working in nature, and their technical innovation & spirit needs to be appreciated. Christian and Muslim are the prevalent religion of this place.
Flag of Eritrea
- Eritrea also known as Punt (The land of God) in ancient Egyptian History and was one of the Important Trade Partners of many Pharaos in Egypt.
- Eritrea Historical names were Midri Bahri – Bahre Negash – Mereb Melash and the Republic Hamasien.
- Axum Kingdom was mainly in Eritrea with eastern Part of Sudan, a small northern Part of Ethiopia (Tigray Region), Djibouti and the coastline of Yemen.
- Eritrea the land of early Christianity and Islam. The first Church in Africa were build in Debre Sina – 34 years after Chr. and also the first mosque of the whole World is build in Massawa and called Sabha.
- Eritrea came under the rule of Ottoman Empire in 16th century and the rule lasted for three centuries.
- Eritrea came under Italian occupation and was formally consolidated into a colony by the Italian government on January 1, 1890.
- Eritrea became a province of Italia (East Africa)(Africa Orientale Italiana), along with Ethiopia and Italian Somalilan, in 1936.
- In 1941, British forces drove out Italians from Eritrea and administered the territory under a UN mandate, which continued till 1951.
- In the year 1951, Eritrea was federated with Ethiopia as per UN resolution 390(A) that was adopted in December 1950.
- Ethiopia annexed Eritrea in 1962.
- Eritrea gained independence in 1993, after fighting for its freedom for over 30 years.
- The lowest point in Eritrea is Denakil Depression, which is also one of the hottest places on earth.
- Adulis is a port city in Eritrea that was founded by the Greeks in 600.
- It is believed that the son of King Solomon, from the royal house of Judah, and the Queen of Sheba founded the Kingdom of Axum (Aksum), in southern Eritrea and Ethiopia.
- Eritrea derives its present name from the Latin word – Mare Erythraeum that stands for the Red Sea.