THE Eritrean Ministry of Energy and Mines together with the Eritrean National Mining Corporation (ENAMCO) will be hosting the 2014 annual Mining Conference in Asmara starting from 1 ‐ 5 October, 2014.
Eritrea hosts a variety of mineral deposits including Volcanogenic Massive Sulphide (VMS) and Gold Deposits in Neoproterozoic terrains of the Arabian-Nubian Shield, together with younger Potash Deposits in the Danakil Depression.
The first modern mine Bisha (Au‐Cu‐Zn VMS), has been successfully producing gold for two years and switched to copper production at the end of 2013. A second mine at Koka (Gold) is under construction and a Bankable Feasibility Study under review by the Government at a third Project, the Asmara VMS‐Gold deposits. A Feasibility Study is underway on the world class Colluli Potash Deposit.
The Conference will provide a forum for discussions and will include:
• 2 days of Technical Sessions at the Asmara Palace Hotel (1 & 2 October2014)
• 1 day of site visits to the Asmara Gold & VMS deposits, Koka Gold Deposit and Bisha Mine (October 3, 2014)
• 2 day excursion to Massawa and the Dahlak Islands – including the historic steam rail journey (October 4‐5, 2014)
The programme for the Asmara Technical Sessions will include Keynote Presentations by;
• Dr. Clfford R. Stanley – Geology (Title to be confirmed)
• Bruce Shapiro (President, Mine Africa Inc.)‐ Striking the right balance
• Dr. Graeme D Cambell (Director, Graeme Campbell & Associates Pty. Ltd) ‐ Mine‐waste and tailings geochemistry
• Chesher, Mark (Principal Mining Engineer, AMC Consultants) ‐ Marrying Resource and Processing
There will also be presentations by Bisha Mining Sh. Co., Zara Mining Sh. Co., Asmara Mining Sh. Co. (Sunridge Gold), Colluli Mining Sh. Co. (South Boulder) and Andiamo Exploration Ltd. Presentations from the Ministry of Energy and Mines of Eritrea and representatives from other countries in the region is expected. A booth space is available at the Asmara Palace Hotel near the conference room for promoting supplies and services.
The Conference dates have been selected to tie in with incoming/outgoing flights and enable Delegates from outside the region to participate in all (or part) of the proceedings. Participation in site visits to the deposits around Asmara will be optional with the helicopter trip to the Bisha and Koka Mines, only for selected Delegates (due to limited space). The steam train journey down the escarpment and trip to Massawa/Dahlak Islands for snorkeling, will also be optional.
• Registration Fee (includes Technical Sessions and Formal Dinner): USD350
• Steam train ride: USD50
• Site visits to Asmara Gold & VMS deposits: USD50
• Massawa/Dahlak excursion: USD200
Anyone interested in attending the Asmara Mining Conference 2014 should contact Mebrahtu Ekubazghi (email@example.com) with copy to Amanuel Arefaine (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details of registration or for any other enquiry.
We look forward to welcoming you in Eritrea